If you're new to naptime diaries, one percent changes is a new blog project to encourage and connect other women as they make one percent, baby changes, to slowly and surely walk towards a life of healthiness and walk away from unreasonable expectations of ourselves. The idea is, if we're making tiny and yet still costly changes daily (or weekly! or monthly!) that stick, sooner or later we'll find ourselves healthier women - able to live our lives a bit fuller and a lot less focused on how unhealthy we feel.
For this first week I've got one semi-baby mostly-food related one percent change.
I promise I've made it myself and I promise you'll be happy you did too.
If you haven't already!
1. Carrot fries
Or okra fries, parsnip fries, sweet potato fries, or yuca fries. The big deal is they're NOT fried - they're roasted. The second benefit is they're DELICIOUS. Thirdly - they're packed with tons of nutritional benefits. I promise if you start to swap out carrot fries for your chips, french fries, crackers, or un-super-nutritional side dish - you'll be glad you did. They taste great, look beautiful, and your body will thank you.
Some big benefits of carrots:
- one serving of carrots per day can reduce the risk of heart attacks by 60%
- carrots naturally help our vision
- carrots are the best source of carotenoids which have been proven to reduce chances of post-menopausal breast cancer by 20% and up to a 50% decrease for our chances of bladder, cervix, prostate, colon, larynx, and esophagus cancer.
Real food is actually super healing to our body, read much more here.
I make my carrot fries like this:
Peel them (or wash them well). Cut them in smaller sizes (or thicker sizes if they're for an adult who doesn't care so much about "fry shape"). Toss in a drizzle of olive oil, kosher salt, & pepper.
Here's where you can go nuts! What's your favorite seasoning?
Sometimes I go chili powder & cumin? Sometimes garlic & ginger. Lavendar salt & pepper?
Have fun with it! And the same when it comes to dipping.
Honey, high fructose corn syrup free ketchup, mustard, NOTHING? They're delicious alone.
But back to cooking them. After tossing them in olive oil & spices - about 40 minutes in the oven at 400 degrees should do it. I like the tips to just be turning dark brown or black.
Ok, I cannot wait to hear ya'lls one percent changes for the week!
I really want to write about fifty today, but a) I'm kind of sick, b) I need to save some for the future and c) I want to hear what you guys have to say!
- If you have a blog & blog about a one percent change, enter it below into our little linky system so we can all share our changes!
- If you don't blog or don't have time, comment about your one percent change!
- Share the one percent changes button on your blog and get ready for next week.
Love ya'll, Happy Wednesday and carrot-fry eating!